26 die from meningitis in Kebbi

26 die from meningitis in Kebbi

The Kebbi State Government has confirmed 26 deaths following a suspected outbreak of cerebrospinal meningitis in Aliero, Gwandu, and Jega Local Government Areas.

The state commissioner for health, Musa Ismaila, disclosed this during a press briefing in Birnin Kebbi this Tuesday. He reported that 248 suspected cases had been recorded across the affected areas.

“In week seven, we faced an outbreak with an unusually high number of cases. Symptoms include fever, severe headache, neck stiffness, stomach ache, vomiting, diarrhoea, and sensitivity to light,” Ismaila said.

According to the commissioner, 11 samples were sent to the National Reference Laboratory in Abuja for confirmation. Of the samples tested, two—one from Jega and another from Gwandu—returned negative results, while nine others are still pending.

He confirmed that 15 deaths occurred in Gwandu, six in Jega, four in Aliero, and one in Argungu.

Ismaila stated that the state government, in collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO), Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), and UNICEF, has carried out advocacy visits to key stakeholders to support response efforts.

He added that Kebbi State had allocated N30 million for the purchase of drugs and essential medical supplies. “Drugs and medical supplies have been distributed to affected areas, and isolation centres have been set up in Gwandu, Jega, and Aliero,” he said.

The commissioner urged residents to adhere to health guidelines and report suspected cases to the nearest health facility for prompt intervention.

Cerebrospinal meningitis is a serious infection that causes inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. It can lead to severe complications or death if not treated promptly.

Leave a Reply